Monday, October 12, 2009

It's a holiday!

Today was Christopher Columbus Day. What an odd day for a holiday! Of course if you work at a hospital it is not, but the kids were out of school. Personally I would much rather see them get Veterans Day off and do service projects, but not complaining about a day off today! Maybe they think there are too many holidays in November any way?

Oprah was at the State Fair today, which was where I intended for us to go until I heard that. When the Jonas Brothers were there a couple of years ago, I really toyed with the idea of taking Grace out of school and going to hear their concert. When I saw how crazy the crowd was, I was SO thankful that I did not. I used to not think I minded crowds, but the logistics of finding a place to park, walking miles, and then possibly not seeing as much as you can on TV does not seem like it is worth it.

When I heard that people had lined up at the fair before sunrise, I knew I had made the right decision not to go. It has been so chilly and damp and everyone seems just on the verge of getting sick, I did not want to risk it for that reason as well.

We had not seen the movie, "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs". So we made it to NorthPark for the first showing for the cheapest price. That movie was so funny! There was enough that the parents got to keep it interesting. The girls LOVED it. I expected there to be plenty of room and we did get there as early as usual. I mean it was not the weekend it opened and it was a MOnday morning. That theater was packed! We all had the same brilliant idea.

I had told the girls they could take some of their money since everyone is having HUGE sales, but when we got through with the movie and checked in with Mom and Dad found out the person hired to replace some plugs was already at our house.

One of our group wanted to pout, but she got over that pretty quickly. Yea!

It will be so nice to plug things in without getting sparks coming out of the plug. Dad had replaced almost all of the plugs while redoing this house, but some had remained hidden or whatever, so they are all ready to go.

BUT the best part was this man understands my desire to tear out a wall.

Dad thinks my whole feng shui problem with the wall between the breakfast room and the dining room is goofy, but my kitchen is the last room of the house. If the girls are outside or even in the living room, I feel too far away. And our kitchen isn't big enough to just hang around in. Besides, the breakfast room has been overtaken with computers and homework,

AND that home tour has had my imagination in overdrive! Everyone has taken out the walls from the front door to the kitchen. It just flows better and my feng shui is not blocked.

So Mauro is supposed to come back tomorrow with his helper and give me a bid. This would allow for a built in desk and counter top extension and a place to put the computer and more storage.

Since Mom is still sick, I made more soup!

This time I used a recipe my friend Holly had sent. It was especially delicious! It was a pound of ground beef, a chopped up onion cooked together, then add a can of garbanzo (or gazebo if you are mom) beans, a can of chili beans, a can of kidney beans, and a can of corn. Her recipe called for a can of green chilis and a can of tomoatoes so I put a can of rotel in. Then you add a packet of ranch dressing mix and taco seasoning. It was delicious! I had bought the mild rotel tomatoes, so I added just a little bit of red pepper flakes. Dad thinks he got all of them.

Mom makes a soup where you put rice and fritos in your bowl before adding the soup, which sounded good for this one. Plus you can add cheese on top.

Now the girls know what they are taking for lunch tomorrow and there might be enough left to drop off for one of our older church members. I really liked it because of the high protein content which we all need.

Being off for the day kept me from my work email. Sometimes I wish I could not check it but just paranoid enough that I always do. Glad I did since I am supposed to be at a breakfast meeting with our president in the morning at 7:30. Glad I had taken in dinner to help bribe DAd to take the girls to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment