Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas and Annabel

This will be Annabel's second Christmas ever.

I got a little teary eyed realizing that she will never experience writing a letter to Santa, but we go on.

I'm not sure how I have brought it up in conversation, maybe it went like this,

Hi, my name is Jerri and this will be my daughter Annabel's second Christmas.

There is a real possibility on that scenario as I catch myself dropping them into EVERY conversation.

Anyway, the whole concept of a 12 year not having had but one Christmas before is really confusing to people.

They cannot imagine what the circumstances were that would prevent a child from having Christmas.

The main reason is that I do not think it is celebrated very widely in China.

China is a communist country and while there are some Christians, the majority are Buddhist, so the whole concept of celebrating Christ's birth would not come up in the Buddhist religion.

The second main reason is that she has spent the majority of her life in an orphanage. There were no extra means for "gifts". Daily needs were met basically and that is all.

I really wish I could get inside my girls' heads and see what they are thinking. She had been home about five months last year by Christmas and we had already had her dress in an angel costume and beg for candy at Halloween. Then we all gathered around a very large bird and ate too much for Thanksgiving. Now we wanted her to believe that an overweight white man with a white beard would bring her presents just because she was good?

Regardless of what she believes in, this year she has figured out that it does mean a slew of gifts for no apparent special reason other than that we put a tree in our living room.

She has pored over every advertisement with toys.

She brought me another one tonight with more things circled in case I needed to know what she wanted.

But when asked she will tell you she wants a Santa Clause outfit, along with the beard, and five Golden Retriever puppies.

I know why she wants the Santa Claus outfit.

She wants to be the one who gives.

Bless her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment