Monday, February 22, 2010

Yippee! Or why I LOVE Dr. Seuss!

Please celebrate with me as I proudly announce that Annabel is now interested in Dr. Seuss books!

While on the surface this may not appear to be worth celebrating, for me it is a HUGE milestone!

For the last 18 months, I have tried to find any book that Annabel might seem even remotely interested in reading or trying to read or want to read badly enough that she would begin to read.

I have bought beginning books.

I have bought Chinese/English books.

I have bought beginning chapter books.

I have bought books on dogs.

I have bought books on China.

A friend loaned her Hooked on Phonics.

We looked at computer programs.

We bought pre-K workbooks.

But she showed no interest in reading.

I would not let Grace sell her Dr. Seuss books because the rhymes and the stories are classics and I kept hoping there would be a time that Annabel might get hooked by reading just one.

Grace would sit with her and try to read them.

I worked with her on reading them.

Her English teacher tutors her regularly.

Her ESL teacher tutors her often.

But still NO interest in reading.

Sunday, she snuck Grace's Dr. Seuss books in her bag to go to church.

Then it happened!

She sat there and tried her best to read the book to Mom!

OK, that might have been the problem - I did not get her to read to Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that Green Eggs and Ham was actually written as a beginning reader? Dr. Seuss was tired of the boring repetition beginning readers and accepted a "bet" from a friend that he couldn't produce a beginning reader children would love! Hurray for Anabel!

    ReplyDelete