Friday, May 7, 2010

Anxieties+email= needed relief!

Last Friday, we were less than 24 hours from our biggest event of the year at work, when I wasn't sure if it was going to come off.

I am a firm believer that things will work out and I drive my co-workers crazy telling them that all the time.

BUT this time, I wasn't so sure.

At the last minute, one of our stores providing the fashions for the fashion show, decided she needed a signed legal document stating we would be responsible for any and all damage up to even paying for them. While I liked our models I was not prepared to buy them a new outfit if something went wrong and I knew my credit limit would not handle the charge!

These models weren't just anyone, they were our newly singles group and the fashion show was the apex of the program and training. These were older adults in competition for the first Top Mature Model for Oak Cliff! And now to not have outfits for a big chunk of them left me doubting how the fashion show could even happen, much less me trying to explain to the models that they would not be in the show! UGH!

Then at the same time, we had a woman who suddenly discovered our teapot auction and tea party and decided to make it her personal memorial to her mother, who had passed away a number of years earlier, but not from breast cancer! And she began to hound each and every employee and volunteer about how things were to be handled. OK, that's my job to hound people!

There were several other parts that seemed to be falling apart and I was dreading the event and driving with a huge knot in my stomach when I got an email.

It was from my niece Gillian.

She said they were so excited about coming and could not wait for the tea party! That they always enjoyed it so much.

It's amazing how such a short email can change your perspective.

All the dread and nervousness fell away and I got back to the original reason we do the event and focused on making sure everyone enjoyed it.

All the pieces fell into place and I feel it was the best one we have ever done in all 9 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment