Friday, May 7, 2010

Why do kids do this?

Annabel got into the car this week and told me her eyes had been red for 3 hours.

I knew what this meant, that she had been crying.

It seems that working in groups is not reserved just for graduate school or the work force, but now is in middle school.

She had landed in a group of all boys and one, whose name I hear often because he is always in trouble, had called her "retarded".

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.............

My background is working with people with disabilities and that label is inappropriate on so many levels but especially to use it as a derogatory statement.

One big difference in this school, Annabel felt comfortable telling her teacher and he was punished appropriately. Not the whupping I would have preferred, but he did get detention.

I know I can't protect her from everything, but so glad we have made the huge steps from last year's school where this would have been ignored and for Annabel to be able to tell her teachers the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment