Monday, November 8, 2010

Will you please take the time to read this?

This Thursday, November 11, will mark the 4th year since my beautiful little sister, Jana, died of sudden cardiac arrest. She was only 44 and left two remarkable young daughters.

They say that time heals all wounds and evidently it takes much more time than has passed for me now.

I continue to try to find a way to make sense of her death and a purpose in it. I feel I have failed, in some ways, by not organizing a HUGE walk a thon or a fund raiser or something to ensure that her memory is kept alive and others do not go through what we have in dealing with this loss.

As I get older, I realize few things happen merely by chance and today has proven that theory. My in box at work is way too full and I was trying to get to the more important notices when I came across the link for our weekly newsletter from work. Scanning it quickly, probably seeing if my name were anywhere, I came across an article where one of our doctors has done considerable research on sudden cardiac arrest.

That is what killed Jana.

Last year I asked everyone to wear red in her memory. Will you do it again this year?

I am ending this with information that I found from our doctor's research and an organization I did not know existed. Please take the time to read this and share with others.


More than 250,000 deaths occur each year as a result of sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). In fact, SCA claims one life every two minutes, taking more lives each year than breast cancer, lung cancer or AIDS. To decrease the death toll from SCA, it is important for the U.S. public to understand what SCA is, what the symptoms and warning signs are and how to respond and prevent SCA from occurring.


The Society's “Apples and Oranges” campaign is designed to educate people about the difference between a heart attack and SCA. The campaign targets heart attack survivors, who are at the highest risk for SCA, and stresses the importance of maintaining a healthy heart lifestyle and learning critical risk markers, especially their Ejection Fraction (EF).

http://www.hrsonline.org/PatientInfo/

No comments:

Post a Comment