Friday, February 11, 2011

A review of my life

The last couple of weeks have been a bit odd for us. For Dallas to have had one snow day is not that unusual but to have had more than 5 in two weeks is unheard of.

The first night we went to bed with the possibility of school being called off due to icy conditions, it almost felt like Christmas Eve. We were all excited about the rarity of the situation and hopeful that school would be called off.

It was and we enjoyed the first day.

The second day, some of the newness had worn off and we all became quite lazy and I felt that hibernating seemed like a great plan.

By the third day I went back to work and by the time I got home, the girls were wired and sick and tired of being iced in and too cold to do anything outdoors. Homework was now boring, there was nothing good on TV, and the dogs were tired of all the attention.
Even though it was great to do nothing but read, sleep, and eat, something in the back of my mind kept nagging that I had a job that I wanted to do the next time I was home and could not do anything else.

Hmmm. What was it? It seems like I should remember. I took a nap, read some more, and finished off the cookies but I kept thinking there was some task that really needed to be done.

Finally I remembered, the sun porch!

This house was built in 1923 and on the front is a sun porch and in the back was a sleeping porch. The sleeping porch became a bedroom, but the sun porch became a giant closet holding everything that did not seem to have a place to be, which ended up being like a bad episode of the show Hoarders.

When I bought this house, the very idea of a sun porch warmed me. I could just see it with the period wicker furniture, lemonade, giant ferns, a true Southern charm, a place to enjoy! Instead it was where you stored things that did not have any other place to be.

I tried to remember how they did it on the organizing shows on HGTV and started in one corner, hoping to make my way around a fairly small space.

On the way I found the filing cabinet my niece and sister set up while we were in China adopting Annabel. Obviously I am very behind on my filing since I had never looked inside it!

Where these papers came from, I am just not sure, but they included things from elementary, junior, and high school. They went on to cover my first college, first jobs, additional degrees, and every job since. In between were filed all my tax returns and every cancelled check I have ever written.

I had to stop and read through every detail.

What an interesting journey!

Today is my birthday and one of those that are considered milestones. To have sat in review of my life was quite humbling. Memories were flooding the sun room as I recalled people, places, and other details. I have had so many wonderful people as friends, received invaluable experiences in travel, made good and bad decisions on careers. The list goes on and on. I found myself almost melancholy as I recalled bittersweet memories of those who have passed from this life.

Right in the middle of all the history, I found Grace's first list to Santa, then a report card, then papers for adopting Annabel.

I know I have made some bad and some good choices, but the best I have ever made was in adopting my daughters. There is no trace, no shred of any regrets in the life I have established with them.

I am so thankful for the very round about journey that brought me to them. I am sure I had to have all those experiences to truly understand what a blessing they are.

With them, the future always looks bright. There is always something to look forward to. There are new challenges daily, but it is all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment