Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!!

Well past my bedtime and at the end of an extremely hard weekend, but feel I shouldn't let the day go by without talking about Mother's Day.

I am very fortunate to still have my mom and even better to have her right next door.

My mother is my biggest supporter and tries to keep me balanced when I get out of whack.

But I want to write about two other mothers.

A local newspaper asks the local celebs if they could travel back in time to any time or place, where would you go.

I know where I would like to go, back to where the biological mothers of my daughters made the decision they could not raise them.

Life in China in the 90's is nothing like it is today. Communication is much more accessible today, free enterprise is growing, opportunities are improving.

Still in parts of China nothing has changed. It is a land of stark contrasts, considerably more than what we see here.

While opportunities are increasing, if you become pregnant and are unmarried, or if you live in an area that still does not allow the second child, or if you know your limitations financially, your options are VERY limited.

I don't know the circumstances surrounding either of my daughters' birth mothers. I probably never will.

I have read lots of books that describe what was happening in China during the 90's. For many the desperation accompanied by their pregnancy led to tragic consequences for their babies and ultimately for the mothers.

Many chose to end their children's lives rather than face the risks that the future held.

All I know is that there are two women who chose to carry their daughters to full term and then place them in a place where they knew they would be found. They risked everything to ensure their babies had a chance at life. With their devotion to these children, I was given the chance to be a mom.

My heart and my life are full because of these two and I feel for the mothers who have the loss instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment