Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Did you send me this?

Hi Jerri,

A new device named "Jerri's iPhone" logged into your Facebook account (Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 10:07pm) from Richardson, TX, US (IP=70.251.115.43). (Note: This location is based on information from your ISP or wireless provider.)

This device has been added to your account.

Was this you? If so, you can disregard the rest of this email.
This is the message I had on my email account when I got up. And no, it was not me. My bed is not in Richardson, TX, US and I was not awake at 10:07pm, so no, I did not add this device to my account.

Earlier this week I wrote about my email account being hacked into.

I immediately started changing passwords and hoping I could maybe remember one or two of them, but did not worry about my Facebook account because someone had hacked into it earlier so that one was already changed.

Now I know Einstein and others have assured us we have way more brain power than we use, but for passwords I think I have reached the limit! Some REQUIRE upper/lower case, some REQUIRE a numeral, some REQUIRE a symbol, the length seems to vary from 5 - 20 characters!

THEN you have to have a user name on a lot of the accounts, which may or may not be your email address or your name or your account number.

Once I got through some of the more "important" accounts, I started looking at all the email in my in box. The source of the hacker could be any of the numerous "special" groups I have subscribed to! I am especially suspect of all the group coupons. On them I had even saved credit card information. How dumb can I be? That just doesn't even seem remotely smart, to subscribe to something, in hopes of saving a little money, give them my credit card number, then sit and wait???

Don't get me wrong, I love the discounted items that I use but a whole lot sounded good at the time but were never redeemed. Now that I have unsubscribed and asked to have my account deleted I have found out that you can still make a company honor it for the face value for up to 5 years after the expiration date! Remember when companies GAVE you half price coupons in hopes of earning your business? Now they sell them to you!

Now I will post this if I can just remember my user id and password for my blog.

One final word of advice: CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment