Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Am I a Muppet or a Mom?

Have you heard the song, "Am I a Muppet or a Man?" from the recent Muppet movie? It actually won an Oscar but also I think sums of my feelings. Not that I can't decide if I am a Muppet or a man, but am I really the responsible mom?

When I first became a mom, I have to admit, there were lots of times, on a regular basis, that I had to remind myself that I was indeed the mom and had to do the adult thing.

I thought I had improved quite a bit but a few things that happened recently have made me wonder. Maybe this started again when I had to confront someone and confessed to the girls that sometimes I really hate having to be the adult!

I was driving along and at a stop sign caught myself admiring a really nice car. I looked at it and thought, nice. I wonder why I didn't buy something like that rather than the extremely base model I am driving and then I remembered that I was on my way to the orthodontist to sign the papers to finance braces that costs more than my first three cars combined!
Then I heard that one of the Monkees, Davy Jones died and was instantly transported to my youthful dedication I had to watching everyone of their shows. I was showing the girls some of their videos on YouTube sure that they would appreciate the finer qualities of a group that sings, "We're too busy singing to put anybody down." I mean classic! Instead their reaction was surprise that there really was a group that sang the song from Shrek, and that any of them were still alive!

So even if I can't remember that I am the mom and try to skirt responsibilities some times, as long as there are children around, I will remain grounded, as they won't let you forget how old you are!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I get those comment about songs from my middle schoolers all the time! The other day a song came on and they identified it by the fact that it was in Ice Age - and they didn't know who Prince was!! I can't believe that I am old enough to start feeling old...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Marcie, you are definitely not old!

      Delete