Sunday, September 15, 2013

Motherhood teaches me another lesson!

My last post might have seemed like I was complaining, but I truly wasn't. I recognize that all of these experiences do not last very long. And, although I thought I had a good handle on this role of parent, I found out this summer, I do not.

I have watched as moms post how sad they are as their kids reach new milestones - going to kindergarten, middle school, especially those headed off to college. And I've thought to myself, "I won't be sad when mine leave. I will be so proud of the progress they've made that I will celebrate it instead."

I was sure I was going to be different than the other moms.

And I would probably still be thinking that except for something that happened this summer.

Our house was built in 1923. Slowly, but surely, we are trying to bring it into the 21st century or at least the second half of the 20th century. My daughters' bathroom still had the original tub, not a pretty claw foot that people covet, but a massive cast iron tank of a tub. This thing was big and so old that the one of the handles was marked refuse, meaning the drain. There was no way to convert it to have a shower, which is needed if you have a teenager, especially if your hair is waist length.

So a decision was made to rip out the tub and put in a shower. This ended up taking most of the summer. Until then, everyone just used my shower. When the job was finally finished and it was time to move the huge assortment of shampoos, conditioners, and soaps to their new shower, it suddenly dawned on me that, for the first time since becoming a mom, I had my own bathroom, again.

That's when it hit me! I missed them! I missed all the messes and the need for a schedule, I missed the wet towels, and pile of clothes in the floor, I missed it all and they were just down the hall from me!

Oh no! How will I handle college?

No comments:

Post a Comment