Saturday, August 22, 2015

To Gillian


There are some memories that you hope will never fade. One of these for me happened within probably the first year after Grace was home, so Grace was probably 7, Gillian 8, and Darcey 5.

Grace, Gillian, and Darcey would all stay at mom and dad's after school in the afternoons. At that time, Jana and her girls lived next door to mom and dad, so after they were through with homework, they would go there to play.

I came in the front door, finding Darcey in the living room, reading. In the next room, the dining room, sat Gillian, who was also reading.

"Where's Grace?" was my question. Darcey like to call Grace, "my girl", telling me, "My girl was in the toy room." In the toy room, I found Grace, sitting there reading.

I'm sure I looked puzzled, that instead of all 3 playing together as they usually did, they were each in separate rooms, reading.

I came back through and asked Gillian what was going on.

She calmly explained, "We needed a time out" so she had sent each child to a separate room with the command to spend their time reading.

I love this because it is so typical Gillian.

Gillian was the child who was prayed for by people all over the world. Everyone joined in prayers for Jana to have the child she wanted so badly and we all rejoiced when she arrived.

She quickly became one of a kind with a very vivid imagination, which included a husband, a baseball team, and a number of other characters in her life until she was finally blessed with a little sister, to share these experiences with.

Gillian assumed her role as big sister very seriously and when asked if she would help me, help Grace transition to her new life, she jumped at that opportunity.

Gillian, Darcey, and Grace would plan elaborate plays, musicals, and other entertainment for us for all holidays and occasions.

She excelled in all classes at school and loved participating in Destination Imagination, which just fueled her imagination.

She still loves a party and a reason to celebrate.

Today is a special day to celebrate. Today she begins her college career at her first and only choice of schools - Texas A & M.

I know she will take her love of life, her strong academic skills, and in the end we will have lots more to celebrate.

I love you Gillian and so proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment